Charlie Kimball is a successful young race car driver forging a career in the highly competitive world of open wheel racing. Kimball, who began racing go-karts at age 9, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2007 and was forced to abandon his racing program mid-season. Kimball returned to the cockpit the following year and claimed a podium finish in his first race back in the car.
Kimball continues to compete in one of the most competitive racing categories in the world, proving that living with diabetes does not have to restrict him from traveling at speeds of more than 200 miles an hour and fulfilling his dream.
Today Kimball drives the No. 83 car for Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing in the IZOD IndyCar Series and is the first licensed driver with diabetes in the history of INDYCAR.
2013 IZOD IndyCar Series Schedule
- •March 24: Streets of St. Petersburg (St. Petersburg, Florida)
- •April 7: Barber Motorsports Park (Birmingham, Alabama)
- •April 21: Streets of Long Beach (Long Beach, California)
- •May 5: Streets of Sao Paulo, Brazil (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- •May 26: Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Indianapolis, Indiana)
- •June 1-2: Streets of Belle Isle (Detroit, Michigan)
- •June 8: Texas Motor Speedway (Fort Worth, Texas)
- •June 15: The Milwaukee Mile (West Allis, Wisconsin)
- •June 23: Iowa Speedway (Newton, Iowa)
- •July 7: Pocono Raceway (Long Pond, Pennsylvania)
- •July 13-14: Streets of Toronto (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- •August 4: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Toledo, Ohio)
- •August 25: Raceway at Sonoma (Sonoma, California)
- •September 1: Streets of Baltimore (Baltimore, Maryland)
- •October 5-6: Reliant Park (Houston, Texas)
- •October 19: Auto Club Speedway (Fontana, California)