Charlie Kimball is the first licensed driver with diabetes to win a race in the IZOD IndyCar Series. Kimball, who began racing go-karts at age 9, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2007 and was forced to abandon his racing program mid-season. Kimball returned to the cockpit the following year and claimed a podium finish in his first race back in the car.
Kimball continues to compete in one of the most competitive racing categories in the world, proving that living with diabetes does not have to restrict him from traveling at speeds of more than 200 miles an hour and fulfilling his dream.
Today Kimball drives the No. 83 car for Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing in the IZOD IndyCar Series and is the first licensed driver with diabetes in the history of INDYCAR. On August 4, 2013, Kimball again made history by becoming the first driver with diabetes to win an IndyCar race, when he captured the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio.
2014 IZOD IndyCar Series Schedule
- •March 30: Streets of St. Petersburg (St. Petersburg, Florida)
- •April 13: Streets of Long Beach (Long Beach, California)
- •April 26: Barber Motorsports Park (Birmingham, Alabama)
- •May 10: Grand Prix of Indianapolis (Indianapolis)
- •May 25: Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Indianapolis, Indiana)
- •May 31- June 1: Streets of Belle Isle (Detroit, Michigan)
- •June 7: Texas Motor Speedway (Fort Worth, Texas)
- •June 28-29: Reliant Park (Houston)
- •July 6: Pocono Raceway (Long Pond, Pennsylvania)
- •July 12: Iowa Speedway (Newton, Iowa)
- •July 19-20: Streets of Toronto (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- •August 3: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Lexington, Ohio)
- •August 17: The Milwaukee Mile (Milwaukee, Wisconson)
- •August 24:Raceway at Sonoma (Sonoma, California)
- •August 30: Auto Club Speedway (Fontana, California)